Tuesday, October 12, 2010

Pickguard test piece

The piece of wood I plan to use for the pickguard is a thin piece of birch plywood. I did a finish test with one of the offcuts. First I used pore-o-pac filler. This is the mahogany stained variety, but it doesn't matter, since I'll be painting over it.
















I used krylon gloss black spray paint. Three coats.

One.


















Two.
















Three.

















In each of the above pics the paint was wet. The surface looks smooth and glossy after the paint is wet, but when it dries, it looks like this.

































After the coats of black spray paint had dried for for several days, I applied coats of clear gloss acrylic lacquer, again from a spray can. After about 10 coats, it looked like this.
































I let this dry for a few days, and then I sanded the piece, first with 800 grit, then 1200 grit. I then used turtle wax scratch/swirl remover, and buffed the heck out of it with my harbor freight buffer. Acrylic lacquer is tough stuff. It buffs up pretty nice and has a mirror shine to it. What do you think? Pickguard-worthy?





(The pasty smudginess at the top of the piece is from a sticker that was on the wood and is now under the paint. And that is the reflection of a light, in the middle. )

No comments:

Post a Comment