Saturday, October 30, 2010

Pickguard progress

Here's my idea of fun on a Saturday night. I go down to the...basement. And I drink a whole bunch of...ice water. And then I start to work on...the pickguard. Partay.

Here it is all shaped. I put it on the body under the strings, and figured out where the strings would be in relation to the pickguard using a square. Then I figured out where the pickups should be placed, traced their outlines, and drilled some holes.






























































Maybe there's a better way to do this. I have no idea. My thought is that it would be easier to make it out of wood, than plastic. Maybe I'm wrong about that. Anyway...

I used a fine blade and my drill press, because it has holes in and I could put the pickguard on there for support, so I wouldn't break the thin wood while cutting it.














































Nice, huh?

Ooh...















Ahh...
















That little 1/2 inch sanding drum, wow, I just knew I'd use that for something, eventually.





























































































1 comment:

  1. misty has been making pancakes on sunday mornings, based on watching you make them labor day. today she claims she reached "marty level" with them. ivy calls you the pancake guy.

    the mm lookin fine. you know, this thing was made the same year i was born. on the same exact day. a guy named lester polished a little smudge off the finish with his sleeve and put it in the box at the very second my eyes saw the world for the first time. i swear to god this is what happened.

    ReplyDelete